The opportunity to plot oscillograms and frequency spectra with smartphones creates many options for experiments in acoustics, including several that have been described in this column.1–3 The activities presented in this paper are intended to complement these applications, and include an approach to determine sound
velocity in air by using standard drain pipes4 and an outline of an investigation of the temperature dependency of the speed of sound.
- 1. J.Kuhn and P.Vogt, “Analyzing acoustic phenomena with a smartphone microphone,” Phys. Teach. 50, 182–183 (Feb. 2013). Google Scholar
- 2. J.Kuhn, P.Vogt, and M.Hirth, “Analyzing the acoustic beat with mobile devices,” Phys. Teach. 52, 248–249 (April 2014). https://doi.org/10.1119/1.4893089 , Google Scholar
- 3. P.Vogt, J.Kuhn, and D.Neuschwander, “Determining ball velocities with smartphones,” Phys. Teach. 52, 309–310 (Sept. 2014). https://doi.org/10.1119/1.4872419 , Google Scholar
- 4. P.Vogt and L.Kasper, “Bestimmung der Schallgeschwindigkeit mit Smartphone und Schallrohr” (translated as “Determining sound velocity with smartphone and acoustic tube”), Unterricht Physik (translated as Classroom Physics) 140, 43–44 (2014). Google Scholar
- 5. A development of our experiment (with a tube length below 50 cm) is described in Ref. 6. Google Scholar
- 6. M.Hirth, S.Gröber, J.Kuhn, and A.Müller, “Study of acoustical standing waves with smartphone and tablet-PC - Mobile experimental devices in and out of physics lessons,” Phy. Did. A(submitted). Google Scholar
- 7. H.Levine and J.Schwinger, “On the radiation of sound from an unflanged circular pipe,” Phys. Rev. 73, 383 (1948). https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRev.73.383 , Google Scholar
- 8. M. J.Ruiz, “Boomwhackers and end-pipe corrections,” Phys. Teach. 52, 73–75 (Feb. 2014). https://doi.org/10.1119/1.4862106 , Google Scholar,
- 9. Online calculator for the temperature dependency of sound velocity in air: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/souspe.html. Google Scholar
- © 2015 American Association of Physics Teachers.
Please Note: The number of views represents the full text views from December 2016 to date. Article views prior to December 2016 are not included.